Saturday, August 9, 2014

What is wrong with Professional Development?!

I've been there, you've been there, 15 minutes into the back to school inservice you are already checking your phone or email. Maybe you're a 'good' teacher and actually working on lesson plans! Our meetings are full important information, don't get me wrong, but how much do we PRESENT.?!?!

I love using the different modalities; visual, auditory, and kinesthetic.  There are great books about NOT just reading your Powerpoint and the importance of getting your audience involved.  Why is it so hard for us to do this for our teachers?

Let me back up, I'm really new at my job.  I am the Director of Technology in Staff Development, I know...it means I teach teachers how to use tech in their classroom.  I like Director of Instructional Technology...it rolls off the tongue.  Previously I taught Orchestra in this district for 6 years and have been Director of Instructional Technology for 1 month. (Full time, I did both for one year.)

I have big dreams and big hopes for not only myself but for my district.  I want the teachers in my district to want to be involved in training sessions. I want to see them connect with other educators and change how they teach.  I want our students to come to school and be inspired by the passion of their teachers.

It starts with me.  I feel the weight of the world, much like Atlas, on my shoulders to shape the teachers in my district to be leaders in their field, leaders in education, leaders in the community and leaders of our students.  I am terrified and excited all at the same time. My first goal is to open up our collaboration doors... #EdCamp418

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let us know your thoughts, opinions and experiences!